You can’t predict the future, you have to create it. Still, a main component of doing innovation is forecasting; understanding what drives the future. This is something I get asked about a lot, and don’t claim to be a futurist. What I do know is that one of the key skills of the future is imagining future scenarios; futuring.
Tag Archives: futurism
Why Experts Suck At Predicting The Future
Society loves experts! Why? Because people are highly persuaded by authority; and being an expert is considered being an authority. But experts are human, and therefore are fallible in their judgment; especially when it comes to predicting the future.
How Do We Distinguish Between What’s Trendy And A Real Trend?
Trendwatching is a big part of innovation work. For us, it’s important to distinguish between what’s trendy and a real trend. How do you do that?
Futures Thinking is an essential 21st century skill: we need to cultivate it widely
Innovate or die? The idea that we must innovate to be successful, have we taken it to the extreme? Some people think so. An in interesting review of a book argues that our unhealthy obsession with the future, where anyone who wants to be successful has to innovate, disrupt, and “own the future”, is making us come up with simplistic ideas rather than great ideas that tackle real challenges. …
Innovation must reads of the week: Do companies require radical innovations to woo consumers? No
- What Doesn’t Motivate Creativity Can Kill It by @teresamabile – Follow @teresamabile
- The 8 Essentials of Innovation – Forbes
- What Consumers Really Want: Do companies require radical innovations to woo consumers? New research suggests…no! – INSEAD Knowledge
- How Great Leaders Create Game Changers by @mikemyatt – Follow @mikemyatt
- How to Spot the Future – Wired
- 4 Steps To Getting The Market Timing Right For Your Innovation by @philmckinney – Follow @philmckinney