How do you create new products and services that deliver new value?
Using subtractive thinking by:
+ Create: Develop by designing from scratch
+ Improve: Build upon by enhancing what already exists
- Reduce: Minimize by taking down to the bare essentials
- Eliminate: Remove by doing away with entirely
Subtractive thinking applies to Business Models, Product Design and Brand Development. Here are some successful examples:
- Saturn removed negotiations from the car buying experience.
- Subway removed the traditional kitchen from the fast food restaurant.
- Netflix removed the storefront from video rentals.
- Little Caesar’s removed the restaurant from the pizzeria.
- Apple removed complexity from the user interface.
- Yellow Tail removed the pretension from selecting wine.
Credit: Black Coffee