EmTV – Channel on Global Innovation and Social Impact – is an online channel that brings biweekly Live Chats at the confluence of Design, Technology, Entrepreneurship, Social responsibility and Sustainability with a true global perspective. It is co-hosted by Sunil Malhotra in New Delhi, India, and myself in Tijuana, Mexico.
Episode 1: Ethics of Using Technology to Capture Emotions (6th June 2018, 8 am to 9 am PST)
- John C Havens, Executive Director, The IEEE Global Initiative on Ethics of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems
- S K Ramesh, Director and Lead Principal Investigator of the “Bridging the Gap: Enhancing AIMS2 for Student Success”
- Tom Koulopoulos, President and co-founder of Delphi Group, author of Revealing The Invisible; which you can preorder here.
- Monika Bielskyte, Prototyping Futures / designing Sci-Fi Storyworlds. Also: AR/VR/XR. Firebrand Nomad.
Moderator(s) – Jorge Barba, CEO Netek
“It’s a particularly fraught time for big tech companies, which have come under scrutiny for issues such as data privacy and “tech addiction” — an over-dependence on gadgets and the internet. Several studies have linked long-term use of Facebook with depression and chronic loneliness among some types of people. Meanwhile, our psychological dependence on smartphones has become so complex that just having them nearby can hinder our ability to focus, according to some research. As a result, companies such as Apple, Facebook and Google are proactively rolling out measures to look after your digital well-being, likely in part to help shore up their public image,” says an article on Yahoo Finance dated 26 May 2018.
The commencement of GDPR in the EU is a step in the right direction.
This 45-minute episode brings together global experts who discuss the ethical implications of using technology to capture emotions in controlled and natural environments.
- What is current state of data capturing, management and use? What is Emotional AI?
- What are the ethical implications of capturing emotion via technology?
- Why should companies care about Emotional AI (affective computing)? And what should users / customers worry about?
- What is the current state in creating standards for Ethics?
- What does this new tech mean for recruitment, talent management and other HR functions? Shopping?
- Introduction of channel EmTV – 1-2 minutes
- Introduce speakers / guests – 4-5 minutes
- Introduce topic and go around the room – 5-6 minutes
- Q1 – 5 (5 minutes each) = 25-30 minutes
- Wrap up – 5-7 minutes
Total: 45-50 minutes
Follow me on Twitter or check back here for the link to the livestream.
Also published on Medium.