A very Happy New Year to everyone. I’m looking forward to this coming year with lots of projects in the pipeline, new services, new ventures and a lot of fun.
So it’s the start of a new year and I want to share a piece of advice that works for me…be indispensable.
Being valuable makes you unique
I have a personal protocol I follow that I apply to myself and unto others…you either indispensable or your replaceable.
I don’t mention this freely to anybody but making a difference in people’s lives is very important to me (my company’s slogan is Think Impact). There is something that came up a few weeks ago while talking with clients (why we got into this conversation, I don’t know) that got me thinking about my protocol. I realized that one of the reasons that I’ve held on to the past is because I feel I didn’t make a difference in this person’s life (yes, I’m talking about someone I love dearly).
I know I’m obsessed with making a difference, I just can’t stand myself being irrelevant.
I’ve learned that being indispensable is like anything else, you have to cultivate it. Integrate it in every part of your life and make it part of your daily thinking. I’ve told people to start by asking simple questions as “How can I improve this?”, “How can I make this better?”, “How can I help this person be better at X?”.
Eden Log rip Here are 10 things I’ve learned on being indispensable:
- Be there. Don’t wait to be needed, anticipate.
- Follow the Golden Rule. Treat others as you’d like to be treated.
- Be original. What do you stand for?
- Respect. Respect yourself, respect others and you shall be respected.
- Bend and break rules. The status quo scares me, making it irrelevant fires me up.
- Give them something to remember. Who are you? What are you here for? Where are you going?
- Stay humble. Stay grounded and remember where you came from.
- Make others better. Empower people, share and become a source of power.
- Strive to be the best at what you do. Bring your A game everyday, set high expectations for yourself and don’t expect anything less than the best you have to offer.
- Be an example to follow. Lead by example, people respond to what they see. They don’t follow titles.
What do you think, what have you found that makes you indispensable? Remember to share.