To help clarify, here are 10 reasons why you shouldn’t hire generalists:
- You’re scared of growth-mindset people;
- You love to concentrate power only for you;
- You prefer irrelevance (not knowingly);
- You’re afraid of the unknown;
- You’re content with achieving incremental results;
- You prefer answers over questions;
- You don’t want to be challenged;
- You dismiss wide-ranging perspectives;
- You think they’re crazy;
- Your enemy is innovation.
Innovation has many enemies, not embracing Generalists is one of them.Why? Because every oganization, at some point in their existence, will be faced with the challenge to reinvent themselves; most never do. Generalists are wired for reinvention, dismiss them at your peril.