An adaptable company is always reinventing itself, always pioneering new markets.
I’ve been writing a lot about adaptability (also here and here) recently and with good reasons, it’s THE most important skill any business or person can have. Prof. Gary Hamel published a couple of blog posts that he calls his never-to-be published book on how to out-run change, it is separated into 6 chapters of which here are the main ideas of each:
- It’s hard to out-run the future if you don’t see it coming.
- To change an organization you must first change minds.
- To give up the bird in the hand you must first see a flock in the bush.
- Nimble and quick beats big and beefy.
- Surrender your freedoms reluctantly; guard your liberties diligently.
- You have to build adaptability into your company’s DNA.
Are you meeting change head on or are you staying ahead of it?